1. Tracy once rubbed shoulders with Brad Pitt. Yes, she literally rubbed her shoulder against his as he passed her in a VIP room at the premiere of Guy Ritchie’s Snatch. She managed to get into the VIP room because she was working in PR after getting her English degree at Royal Holloway, University of London.
2. Tracy got attacked by a kangaroo. Okay, ‘attacked’ might be a bit of an exaggeration. It tried to jump on her back while she was in Australia. Why was she in Australia? She was writing an article for the travel magazine she edited, a job she got after impulsively quitting PR one day. Sure, she loved the PR world, especially all the parties she attended while sipping champagne and eating all the canapes the stick-thin models bypassed. But she’d always dreamed of writing so quit her job to retrain as a journalist.
3. Tracy’s wrote her first novel The Atlas of Us after doing a short Open University course. That course was the OU’s Starting writing fiction course (now offered for free here), which she did while working for university in the department responsible for co-producing popular series with the BBC such as Frozen Planet, Stargazing LIVE and Coast (see the Author Connections map she oversaw there). She then went on to work in the OU’s social media team and is now leaving all that behind to pursue writing full-time.
4. Tracy has a one-eyed Jack Russell called Archie. He has a starring role in The Atlas of Us, though when he got a copy of the novel, he didn’t seem too bothered. A sniff, a huff then back to chewing his paw. He rules the roost in Tracy’s house just outside Milton Keynes alongside Tracy’s toddler Scarlett. They are King and Queen of the Buchanan household, Tracy and her husband their humble servants.
5. Tracy is addicted to Lypsyl. It’s been an addiction of hers since childhood. She owns about a hundred Lypsyls but can never seem to find one when she desperately needs to. One of her friends believes this addiction suggests psychotic tendencies. Tracy disagrees but may one day write about a Lypsyl-addicted serial killer. Watch this space…